In the spotlight

In the spotlight
Consciousness expresses itself through creation

Monday 27 April 2015

6b- Critical Reflections on Inquiry Tools

Image source:http://www.sd35.bc.ca/district/library/Pictures/inquiryQ.jpg



When considering which tools to pilot for my inquiry I wrote a list of pros and cons in my reflective diary for each method.


REFLECTIVE DIARY EXCERPT 


                                      
Observations
Pros

  • Choice of whether to be an active or passive observer
  • Choice of letting people know they are being watched or covertly watching
  • Possibilty to record the sessions visually and then analyse the session at a later date
  • Possibility of multiple observations to make comparisons ability to see the reactions of the participants to given situations
  • Good way to provide supporting evidence used in conjunction with another method of research

Cons

  • Time consuming
  • Costs of getting to the venue
  • If a video is made possible copyright issues
  • May be difficult to obtain written permission for participants to be videoed
  • Participants may feel inhibited by being watched
  • Situation may be contrived to show an atypical representation of events
  • Must comply with Data protection policy
  • Identity of participants may need to be protected
  • Possibilty of observer subjectivity in analysis
  • Possible reflexivity issues


Interviews 

Pros

  • Ability to ask specific questions
  • Flexibilty in the type of interview conducted
  • Line of questioning may yield extra information
  • Kudos of the interviewee
  • Can obtain more in-depth information


Cons
  • Costs of getting traveling to interviewee
  • Need to fit in with schedule of interviewee
  • Interviewee may be nervous and not provide answers that will yield results
  • Possibilty of interviewee giving an untruthful account of events to be seen in a good light
  • Line of questioning has to be carefully considered
  • Possibillity of inadvertently causing distress
  • Vulnerability of interviewee 


 Focus Groups


Pros

  • Multiple opinions can be obtained
  • Discussion can lead to further discovery of other issues
  • Less pressure on the reseacher to come up with the information
  • Informal setting can generate a better response

Cons

  • One person can monopolise the conversation
  • A strong character could influence others
  • People may feel uncomfortable voicing their true opinion in front of others
  • Risk of breach of confidentiality
  • Possible difficulties in scheduling a mutually convenient time


Questionnaires

Pros
  • Cross section of opinion can be obtained
  • Can reach many
  • Can be a target specific or random selection
  • People can answer anonymously 
  • Sample selection can be indicative of a trend
  • Can gather statistically evidence
  • Specific line of questioning
  • Ease of completion for participants
  • Can cross reference results
  • Can lend credence to qualitative research

Cons
  • Analysis of data can be difficult
  • Questions need to be correctly framed 
  • Open to misinterpretation
  • People could give biased answers to influence a decision in their favour
  • Time consuming to create


CONCLUSIONS

Considering the merits of the above methods of inquiry made me think about the possible pitfalls that I could fall into with my research. I realised how important it was to pilot my proposed methods so that I could endeavour to eradicate any problems that arose during my trials and thus avoid making those same errors in my actual inquiry.

I often write lists of pros and cons when faced with indecision about an issue. I usually find that it helps organise my thoughts and generally pinpoints me in the direction I need to take. In this instance, however, the only method in which the benefits appeared to outweigh the negatives was the questionnaire approach. This is interesting because I had drafted a possible questionnaire at the start of Module 2, so I had the intention of using this method right from the outset, without having considered its effectiveness in yielding the results I needed. 

Because I had obtained feedback early on from my SIG on how to structure my questionnaire, and been able to test it out at the beginning of Module 2, I think that I was more confident about the effectiveness of this approach. Consequently, I think that this will have influenced my thought process, at a subconscious level, and that is why the benefits appear to vastly outweigh the negatives in my list above. 

In my inquiry I would like to use recorded interviews to obtain the opinions of teachers and pupils about their respective dance teaching and dance learning experience. I have now piloted a semi-structured interview on Skype with one of my colleagues. 


This was an effective method of obtaining information for my research but, I am aware that it is very different when talking to someone face to face. I am also aware of the vulnerability of the students with ASD so, despite having practiced my approach with a colleague, I am still a little apprehensive. Despite these anxieties, I do feel that it will provide me with a much better insight into the dance experience if I can actually talk to the individuals concerned rather than seeking their opinion via a survey.

 The literature I reviewed all suggests that for a dance experience to be meaningful a relationship of mutual respect and trust has to be fostered between the teacher and pupil. I feel that the best way to establish if this is evident is to watch them both together in their dance sessions to observe the rapport between them. I can then also see teaching methods in practice, compare them with my own and take note of any strategies the teacher puts in place for her pupils that might enhance my own teaching.

I hope to be able to conduct my inquiry in both a college of further education and a centre that provides a therapeutic approach to autism though dance and movement so that I can observe the way in which dance is used to benefit people at both ends of the autistic spectrum.

Ideally I would like to record my observations on video so that I can make comparisons between the different methodologies implemented at the two institutions. If it is possible for me to take video footage I will need to give a great deal of consideration and liaise with the institutions involved as to how this is best implemented. I have listed these below:



Ethical Implications of video observation

  • As I will be working with vulnerable people with ASD I will have to comply with the the following government policies  and endeavour to minimise any potential distress caused through the filming process :
  1. Safeguarding Children and Young People and Vulnerable Adults Policy  
  2. Data Protection
  3. Copyright Protection
  4. Health and Safety
  • I will consult with the organisations so that company policy is also adhered to.
  • I will seek written permission from the parents/guardians of the participants and make sure that everyone involved is fully aware of the intentions of my research and when it will be concluded.
  • I will ensure that participants know they can end their involvement at any time during the process. 
  • I will use pseudonyms to protect the identity of the participants when referring to them in the research.
  •  I will show the edited film footage that I intend to use to the staff involved and get their consent to use it before submitting my research. 
  • I will present a final copy of the DVD and research report to the organisations before submitting them.




1 comment: